MotorSport New Zealand’s junior driver program allows people aged between 12 and 16 to obtain a competition licence with a few extra steps.
Junior competition licences are available in:
- M Grade – ClubSport (excluding Temporary M Grade)
- R Grade – Rally (Navigator Only)
- C Grade – Race
- 12 and 13 years old; by exemption only as per Sch L, Article 3.2(3)(b).
- 14 and 15 years old; in accordance with Sch L, Article 3.2(3)(a) or (b).
- Vehicle restrictions apply as per Sch L.
Find out how to get your junior competition licence below:
Step 1: Car Club Membership
Step 2: Getting ready for the Exam
Before sitting the exam, you’ll need to have a good understanding of the rules of motorsport. The rules you’ll need to be familiar with for each licence type are listed below.
Step 3: Register
It is recommended that you register online with us before you sit the test as the examiner can then find your record online and complete the examination section that is required.
To do this please follow the steps below:
- Got to http://online.motorsport.org.nz/
- Click “New to Motorsport NZ? Register here”
- Complete the details as requested and click the email button to submit the form
- You will receive an email from the database with a temporary username/password (It’s important to recognise that the issuing of new licence numbers is a manual process that will be managed directly by staff at MSNZ, so, depending on demand, it could take a few days to receive your new licence number and password.)
- Enter these details into the username/password fields and click the big blue start button
- You will then be taken to a page you will be asked to change the username/password to something you will remember
- You can then log in using the username/password you have set up
Note: If you have previously held a MotorSport New Zealand Licence or a Vehicle Logbook we may have already created a record for you in this database which means you may not need to register. If this is the case, please advise or select the ‘Forgot Password’ option on the log in page and this will email the MotorSport New Zealand Office to check for you.
Step 4: Exam Time
Please find an Examiner local to you and contact them directly to arrange a time and place to sit your exam
When you have passed your exam, the examiner will be able to find you in the database as you will have already set yourself up in the system. Your examiner can scan and upload your exam results into the database. If at the time the exam cannot be marked off online another option is to scan/email or post the signed test to the MotorSport New Zealand Office where it can be marked off on the examiner’s behalf
Step 5: Applying for your Licence
It is recommended to do this when you register/before you sit your exam as this then adds the application to the list the examiners access to mark them off.
On the MotorSport Online system: Click “Licences” on your Dashboard- The click “Add a Licence” followed by “Competition Licence”
This will open a new page where you can complete all the necessary details for your application.
The next step is the payment page where you can select the method of payment and will be supplied with an invoice number or a receipt via email (dependant on the method selected).
Step 6: Junior Driver Forms
As a Junior Driver, there are a few extra forms to have completed before your first Licence can be issued. These forms are:
- Junior Driver Indemnity Form- must be completed by the parent or legal guardian
- For M Grade: Junior Driver Fitness Appraisal Form- this form needs to be completed by a Physical Fitness Trainer/Secondary College Physical Education Teacher
- For C and/or R Grade: Junior Driver Medical Examination Form- this form needs to be completed by a Doctor
All are now contained with form L001B- Competition Licence Application- Junior, which can also be found in the ‘Resources’ tab of your MotorSport Online login.
Forms can be uploaded as part of the online application or scanned/emailed directly to the office.
Step 7: Other Requirements (For C Grade Junior Applications Only)
Please find below the section of the MotorSport Manual Schedule L regarding the requirements to be met before the licence is issued:
(2) C Grade requirements:
- (i) have five(5) signed Clearances from any ClubSport Events (L002A- Licence Upgrade Form) , or
- (ii) have a signed clearance from a course conducted by a MotorSport NZ Licensed Driving School (Contact details for the schools can be found in the list of Licence Examiners on our website).
Step 8: Approval of your Licence
We will be able to see your application every step of the way and will be watching for the following to be completed:
- The Licence has been applied for
- All personal details completed within your Profile tab
- A suitable Passport style photo has been uploaded (this will print onto your licence card)
- The licence fee payment has been received
- Any medical aspects have been approved
- The Exam has been passed/marked off
- The requirements under Step 7 have been approved (for C Grade Junior Applications only)
Once all the above has been completed your licence application may be approved and a licence card sent out to you.