Login / Register

Competing Overseas

Competitors who wish to take part in an international competition organised overseas can do so with the prior approval of MotorSport NZ. We issue three types of Visas for competing overseas: an International Clearance Visa, a Tasman Visa and a Foreign Participation Visa.

If you are planning on competing overseas, it is important that you do not leave your licence and Visa applications to the last minute. Visas and International Licences can take a lot longer to process than standard New Zealand competition licences, and often organisers will request to see a copy of your Clearance Visa when you submit your entry form.

International Visa

International Grade Licence holders wishing to compete in an event outside of New Zealand listed on the FIA International Sporting Calendar must apply for an International Visa either as part of the licence application / renewal process, or separately using form A001E International Visa Application form available from the Resources tab in the MotorSport Online system.  Note that INT Grade licence holders may compete in Australia with an International Visa, rather than a Tasman Visa.

Tasman Visa – for competition in Australia only

The World Motor Sport Council of the FIA has approved a request made jointly by the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) and MotorSport New Zealand for mutual recognition of competition licences in accordance with the Trans-Tasman Agreement for events listed on the sporting calendars of MotorSport NZ and CAMS. Other events may be selected for inclusion should both MotorSport NZ and CAMS agree.

To apply for a Tasman Visa, competitors should access the Licences tab in the MotorSport Online system and specify the name of the event/s they wish to compete in. By submission of the application for a Trans-Tasman Visa, the competitor shall agree to be bound by the rules (procedural, judicial and technical) of CAMS for the duration of the Visa.

Foreign Participation Visa – for competition overseas excluding Australia

Some overseas national events may be permitted by the host ASN to allow for foreign participation and will be detailed in the event’s supplementary regulations.  C2 Grade or R2 Grade Licence holders wishing to compete in such an event must first obtain a Foreign Participation Visa and an International Medical card from MotorSport NZ. Please contact the office if you would like further information on this.

Live Life Faster

Want to get involved?

Get in touch with us

69 Hutt Road, Thorndon
Wellington, New Zealand

Email Us

+64 4 815 8015