Licensing - Grades

A prerequisite to the issue of a MotorSport New Zealand competition licence is that the applicant is a financial member of one of our member clubs.

M Grade

An M Grade licence is valid for all ClubSport Basic and Advanced events. For further details on what events are classed as ClubSport refer to the ClubSport section of the website. All competitors are expected to be in a physical state that enables them to declare on Event entry forms that at the time of the Event they are not suffering from any disability of any kind whether permanent or temporary that is likely to detrimentally affect their control of their automobile or their fitness to drive in the Event.

C Grade and R Grade

MotorSport NZ issues two types of National grade licences, C Grade and R Grade. C Grade licences are valid for all ClubSport and National Race events, excluding all Rally events and events run under an International permit. R Grade licences are valid for all ClubSport and National Rally events, excluding all Race events and events run under an International permit. To gain a C Grade or R Grade licence the applicant will need to first pass the exam for the discipline they are applying for. All competitors at time of application and renewal process for a National grade licence must complete a medical declaration. Its purpose is to enable the MotorSport NZ Medical Assessor to determine whether the competitor has the level of physiological and physical condition required to control an automobile in either a Race or Rally Event. MotorSport NZ may seek further information from the applicant, in which case either you or your Doctor will be contacted directly by the MotorSport NZ Medical Assessor.


MotorSport New Zealand issues International licences of the following grades: Race Grade A or B, Race Grade C, Rally Grade and Historic Grade H. A prerequisite to the issue of an International Licence of any grade is the passing of a medical examination. This is obtained by completion of the A003 Medical Examination Form (available from the resources tab in the MotorSport NZ Online system) in conjunction with the examining Doctor of your choice. There is facility to upload the completed form during the application or renewal process.  The uploaded form will be evaluated by the Medical Assessor and the Medical Clearance Card will be issued for a 12 month validity or the applicant will be advised of the reasons for refusal.  For qualification criteria for specific grades of International licence refer to Appendix One, Schedule L, Article 4.5.


An Entrants licence entitles the holder being a person, firm or body corporate other than the driver of the vehicle, to enter a vehicle in any Event or Sanctioned Series organised in accordance with either the International Sporting Code of the FIA or the National Sporting Code of MotorSport NZ. An Entrant’s Licence issued by MotorSport NZ is valid for all International Events inside or outside New Zealand, along with all Events of National or ClubSport status in New Zealand. Application for an Entrants licence can be made through the MotorSport NZ Online system.

Competing Overseas

Competing Overseas

Competitors who wish to take part in an international competition organised overseas can do so with the prior approval of MotorSport New Zealand. MotorSport NZ issues three types of Visas for competing overseas; An International Clearance Visa, a Tasman Visa and a Foreign Participation.

If you are planning on competing overseas it is important that you do not leave your licence and Visa applications to the last minute. Visas and International Licences can take a lot longer to process than standard New Zealand competition licences, and often organisers will request to see a copy of your Clearance Visa when you submit your entry form.

International Visa

International Grade Licence holders wishing to compete in an event outside of New Zealand listed on the FIA International Sporting Calendar must apply for an International Visa either as part of the licence application / renewal process, or separately using form A001E International Visa Application form available from the Resources tab in the MotorSport NZ Online system.  Note that INT Grade licence holders may compete in Australia with an International Visa, rather than a Tasman Visa.

Tasman Visa – for competition in Australia only

The World Motor Sport Council of the FIA has approved a request made jointly by Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) and MotorSport New Zealand for mutual recognition of competition licences in accordance with the Trans-Tasman Agreement for events listed on the sporting calendars of MotorSport NZ and CAMS. Other Events may be selected for inclusion should both MotorSport NZ and CAMS agree.

To apply for a Tasman Visa, competitors should apply through the Licences tab in the MotorSport NZ Online system and specify the name of the event/s they are wishing to compete in. By submission of the application for a Trans-Tasman Visa the competitor shall agree to be bound by the rules (procedural, judicial and technical) of CAMS for the duration of the Visa.

Foreign Participation Visa – for competition overseas excluding Australia

Some overseas national events may be permitted by the host ASN to allow for foreign participation and will be detailed in the Event’s supplementary regulations.  C2 Grade or R2 Grade Licence holders wishing to compete in such an event must first obtain a Foreign Participation Visa and an International Medical card from MotorSport NZ. Please contact the office if you would like further information on this.

Driving Schools

The following Driving Schools are holders of a valid Driving School Licence issued by MotorSport New Zealand.

Rally Drive NZ

Driving Instructor: Dale Perry
Ph: 07 847 8777 (B) Mob: 0274 742 561


Formula Challenge Racing School

Driving Instructor: Craig Greenwood
07 377 0338 (B) Mob: 0274 503 789


Sabre Racing School

Palmerston North
Driving Instructor: Dennis Martin
06 355 4055 (B) Mob: 021 216 5815


Canterbury Motor Racing School

Ruapuna Raceway, Christchurch
Driving Instructor: Chris Hyde
Ph: 03 349 6066 (B) Mob: 027 444 3960


Fundrive Limited

Driving Instructor: Tony Bowman
Ph: 07 376 5033 (B)

Licence Examinations

A prerequisite to the issue of a Competition Licence is the passing of an Exam for the grade of licence applied for. The following documents contain questions that you may be asked during the exam. To help you prepare for the exam please refer to the MotorSport Manual.

Once you have prepared for the exam you will need to go onto the MotorSport NZ Online system, register yourself and apply for the applicable licence.  Then arrange a time with a licence examiner to sit the exam. Contact details can be found at the bottom of this page. Once you have completed the examiner will register the result in the system and the MotorSport office will process the licence.

M Grade Exam

Prior to sitting the examination candidates must gained a good level of knowledge of the Drivers Guide.

M Grade Licence Exam

Drivers Guide

C Grade Exam

Prior to sitting the examination candidates must in particular have gained a good level of knowledge of the National Sporting Code, as well as Appendix Two – Schedule A and Appendix Four - Schedule Z.

C Grade Licence Exam

MotorSport Manual

R Grade Exam

Prior to sitting the examination candidates must in particular have gained a good level of knowledge of the National Sporting Code, as well as Appendix Two – Schedule A and Appendix Three - Schedule R.

R Grade Licence Exam

MotorSport Manual

Licence Examiner Contact Details

Licence Examiner Contact Details

Licence Renewal

Competition licences should be renewed through MotorSport NZ Online login at the bottom of this page using your personal user name and password. Licences can be renewed from the 1st of the month prior to the month of expiry and a reminder will also be emailed to your nominated email address.

Paper licence renewal notifications are no longer issued.  If you do not have access to the internet and would like renewal forms sent to you please contact the MotorSport NZ office. Please note that manual applications for competition licences take significantly longer to process than online applications.

When Renewing Your Licence...

  • Licences cannot be renewed if your Car Club membership has expired. 
  • International grade licences cannot be renewed if the competitor does not hold a current International Medical Card.
  • Licence cards are now printed with a current head and shoulders photo of the Licence Holder, so if you have not supplied us with a photo in the previous 5 years you will need to provide one.
  • If you have an LVVTA / MSNZ Authority Card it will expire on the same day as your licence, and you may need to apply to renew this. Details on renewing Authority Cards can be found under Technical - Authority Cards